The Skin Healing Properties of Eakin Wound Pouches
This case study looks at the skin healing properties of eakin Wound Pouches™
Submitted by: Sheryl Waye, Stomaltherapy Department, Gold, Coast Hospital, QLD, Australia
• 18 year old male with learning difficulties.
• Being cared for in the community by carers.
• Attended ED as appliances would not seal to moist skin due to frequent leakages.
• Patient was admitted to hospital in order to heal severe excoriation.
Care Management Plan:
• Peristomal skin was cleaned with cool water.
• Applied calomoseptine cream.
• Sprinkled with stomahesive powder.
• Sprayed with 3M Barrier Spray.
• Applied a large Eakin Wound Pouch.
• The patient was sedated initially prior to
the change due to pain from severe excoriation.
• Changed PRN by STN with security assistance.
• Nursing staff were educated on Wound Pouch application for after hours care.
• 3 days later the patient’s skin had healed sufficiently to allow discharge.
• The carers were educated in the correct application of application.