The term parastomal hernia is used to describe a bulge or swelling on or around your stoma.
Trying to prevent the formation of a parastomal hernia is recommended.
- Try not to lift anything heavy within first 6-8 weeks following surgery.
- If you intend to do any strenuous work when you have fully recovered from your surgery, you should wear a support belt to protect the abdominal muscles.
- Try and commence exercises to strengthen the core abdominal muscles ( seek professional advice from physiotherapist).
- The shape and size of the stoma may change due to an enlarged hernia. Measure the stoma regularly to ensure your pouch accurately fits the size of the stoma.
- A more flexible baseplate will achieve a better fit.
See below for product recommendations to help with managing your stoma when you have a hernia.
Small eakin Cohesive® Seals
The Extra Protector Small eakin Cohesive® Seals provide maximum skin protection and maximum absorption capacity. They prevent leaks even for those with high fluid content and will help to increase pouch wear time.
You will be redirected to our US partner’s website to fulfil your sample request.