Author: Kristine Louis, Stomal Therapy, CNS, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney.
- To eliminate maceration of skin around the insertion site of a PEG tube, as a result of previous intermittent seepage of gastric fluid.
Figure 2Figure 1
Figure 5Figure 4Figure 3
- Clean and dry the peri tube area.
- Cut a slit into a Eakin Cohesive® Slims™ (Figure 3)
- Wrap the Slims™ around the PEG tube, under the flange (Figure 4)
- Cut a slit halfway through a 10 x 10cm through a 10 x 10cm Coloplast Comfeel Plus Transparent Dressing (Figure 5)
Remove backing and wrap around PEG tube, over the flange (Figure 6)
Slims™ and Comfeel Dressing changed twice weekly
- Skin maceration eliminated
- PEG tube tethered, therefore the ‘dragging’ effect was minimized
- Pressure alleviated from the flange indentations